Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Alexander Calder Workshop

On Wednesday, a few other elementary art teachers and I attended a workshop at the Peabody Essex Museum. The focus was on the Alexander Calder exhibit http://pem.org/exhibitions/167-calder_and_abstraction_from_avant-garde_to_iconic . I have to say this was one of the most interesting and thought out exhibitions I have ever seen. The shadows on his artwork and movement throughout his pieces were amazing! This was a great experience and I would recommend it to anyone who is a fan of Calder or not! The show is on view until January 4, 2015.

At the workshop, we first started by looking at the sculpture art of Kristin Reynolds http://www.kirstenreynolds.com/ . She explained how to use scale to create large sculpture works as Alexander Calder did. We then made our own sculptures and took a picture of them in front of a city scene to see what they would look like in real scale. This opened up my eyes to new possibilities for my own art classroom projects. Check out the pictures below!


Its not even as tall as my pencil!




No comments:

Post a Comment